freetds - Re: [freetds] port setting in the global section of the config file does not work

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] port setting in the global section of the config file does not work
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 17:12:15 -0400

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, christos AT zoulas.com (Christos Zoulas) wrote:

> Here's a bug fix for the configuration parsing code. In the following
> scenario:
> 1. host not specified in the configuration file
> 2. port specified in the global section of the configuration file

Hi Christos,

I applied this patch and the tsql one. Thanks.

BTW, I wrote bsqldb specifically for batch processing. I think it's
better suited than tsql to the task.

In case you (or someone else) is inclined to do anything further with
these items, I'd like to offer the following thoughts:

1. The port should be inferred not from the compiled-in default TDS
protocol, but from the protocol version in force at the time the
connection is attempted. That is, if I set "tds version = 5.0" in
freetds.conf, that should imply port 4000 for that server.

2. tsql should write non-data to stderr. That would make it easier to
use as a data extractor.

Your changes are improvements, too, and fix real problems, which is why I
applied them.