freetds - RE: [freetds] dbbind, dbnullbind issues

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] dbbind, dbnullbind issues
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:05:07 -0400

> From: freetds-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org
> [mailto:freetds-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org]On Behalf Of
> Thompson, Bill D
>
> > I loaded your results into a database ...
>
> Do you ever find youself incapable of thinking about anything
> except in relational terms :-) ?

Other way? There's another way?

> NTBSTRINGBIND right trims any spaces from the character
> string. Both add a NULL terminator to the data.
>
> You are supposed to have enough bound space to hold the data
> and the null terminator.

Right, exactly.

> My version of NTBSTRINGBIND and STRINGBIND report truncation
> because there
> isn't enough space for the data + the null term.
>
> NTBSTRINGBIND only checks for truncation AFTER the removal of
> the trailing blanks.
> Otherwise it might report POTENTIAL truncation when in fact
> no truncation has really occurred.
>
> Does this look good to you ?

Yes. That makes it consistent with the varlen=5 case. We'll just have to
document somewhere that FreeTDS's implementation is not subject to the caveat
expressed in Sybase's note.

There's bound to be (pardon the pun) some application out there treating "ind
!= 0" as NULL or "ind != -1" as OK, and getting away with it because of the
idiosyncrasies of the library they're using. But they're both incorrectly
coded and mistreating their data. We can help. ;-)

Apart from the fact that I find myself wishing none of this was necessary --
how many ways to bind a string? -- I am glad you've endeavored to get it
right at last. Silently slicing off characters from strings is the sort of
bug that's very hard to find in an application; probably someone's suffering
from it right now without knowing. On his behalf, especially because he
could be me: Thanks.

--jkl

the sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message. Please note that we do not accept account orders and/or instructions
by e-mail, and therefore will not be responsible for carrying out such orders
and/or instructions.
If you, as the intended recipient of this message, the purpose of which is to
inform and update our clients, prospects and consultants of developments
relating to our services and products, would not like to receive further
e-mail correspondence from the sender, please "reply" to the sender
indicating your wishes. In the U.S.: 1345 Avenue of the Americas, New York,
NY 10105.