freetds - Re: [freetds] Re: Freetds freebcp

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Re: Freetds freebcp
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 07:56:42 -0400

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, "R. Klemme" <bob.news AT gmx.net> wrote:

> The tool is called "SQL*Loader". You can find the documentation here:
> http://www.arb.ca.gov/app/doc/oracle/doc92/Utilities.pdf

Thanks for the link. Reading about other systems gives one perspective.
For instance, if I understand aright, the Import tool can produce a script
to re-create indexes dropped for a bulk load. That's a nice feature,
something Microsoft does with its DMO objects, but not something available
with FreeTDS.

> With Oracle's "direct path" loads the PK is simply left in state
> inconsistent and SQL Loader tells you so. Then you have to query the
> table to find duplicate records, delete them and after that, activate
> the PK again. "Messy" is the correct term for this IMHO.

I was bemused by this statement: "UNIQUE constraints are enforced both
during and after the load. A record that violates a UNIQUE constraint is
not rejected...."

A curious kind of "enforcement", that.

> You wrote in an earlier posting:
>
> > My experiments with Microsoft's BCP show that a batch
> > containingduplicate keys, when applied to a table whose
> > index was created "with IGNORE_DUP_KEY", is rejected in
> > its entirety.
>
> Now here are my findings: if I have a table with a PK and add an index
> with the same conditions as the PK but with option "IGNORE_DUP_KEY" set,
> the error message changes and duplicates are simply dropped (tested with
> MS's bcp) but the other rows are inserted ok.

Positively bizarre.

> Of course it's quite useless to
> have the same index twice, but the same happens if you drop the PK.

I don't follow. Same as what?

> Thanks for your time and all the insights!

Viel Dank sich, Robert. Oracle, Rumsfeld, and Socrates are all off topic
here, but, even so, we both managed to learn something.

Regards,