freetds - RE: [freetds] bcp text upload trace

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Thompson, Bill D (London)" <bill_d_thompson AT ml.com>
  • To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] bcp text upload trace
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 11:47:45 +0100

James,

Further to my last email, the tcpdump does not throw up anything much that
we didn't know before.

For bulkcopy to SQL server, TEXT data is being sent to SQL server in the way
that we previously understood and supported.
First we send a COLMETADATA/RESULTS message 0x81, where the text column is
described in the same way as any other column type.
Then we send a ROW message 0xd1, and the text data is formatted as any other
column type.

Two new things we didn't know before:

1) The client queries the server to see what level of bcp compatibility it
supports by exec-ing the undocumented stored procedure sp_bcp_dbcmptlevel
<database>.
On my SQL2K servers this returns "80". presumably bcp is backwards
compatible to SQL server 7 or 6.5 or 6.0
I'd be interested to see a tcpdump when bcp is invoked with -V 6.5 (see
BOL)

2) The client issues another undocumented procedure sp_tablecollations
'testdb..text_test' to get the SQL server description of the collations in
the table.
This is used to build the "insert bulk" statement . I guess we may find
doing this useful here, or elsewhere...

Bill

If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify
the sender, delete it and do not read, act upon, print, disclose,
copy, retain or redistribute it.

Click here for important additional terms relating to this e-mail.
<http://www.ml.com/email_terms/>