freetds - Re: [freetds] Re: FreeTDS on Mac OS X 10.3.3

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Pete Prodoehl <pete.prodoehl AT cygnusinteractive.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Re: FreeTDS on Mac OS X 10.3.3
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 11:31:22 -0500

I've been checking in on Mac OS ODBC drivers every now and then for the last five years or so, mainly with the idea that *occasionally* I need to access an MS SQL server from a Mac. Once Mac OS X came around this was easier, because Java-based apps could use a JDBC driver, so that solved a few problems, but for code I wanted to write in Perl, wouldn't do.

Luckily FreeTDS really works well for what I need, and it's pretty easy to move things from Mac OS X to Linux, so we're able to get off our reliance of Windows servers for some things.

Still, a reasonably priced ODBC driver for the Mac, for users with the *occasional use* problem would be helpful.

Pete

Doug Norton wrote:
I suppose that if you are only an occasional user then you may not want to
pay $29 for an ODBC driver. I just don't have the bandwidth to do what
Actual does.

Personally I think Actual drivers are a great use of open source software.
The only other real single tier driver for OS X and MS SQL is done by
OpenLink and they are charging $495 for their driver.

-doug