freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS hang

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS hang
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 16:25:17 -0400

On Sat, 22 May 2004, Frediano Ziglio <freddyz77 AT tin.it> wrote:
> Il sab, 2004-05-22 alle 12:36, Hany Heggy ha scritto:
> >
> > The program is multi threaded and each thread connect to certain
> > MSSQL server, it works fine until one of the sever is unreachable (
> > i cannot ping it from Linux command line) at this point i get an
> > error from FreeTDS :
> > server 192.122.122.12 connect time out
> >
> > at this point the program freeze and all threads freeze totally
>
> Do you get error or it just hangs inside ODBC?
> I would try to enable logging and remove network wire just to test...

If you do this, remember that every connection initializes the log file
unless

dump file append = yes

is in your freetds.conf. Another workaround is to set TDSDUMP=stderr.

Nothing springs to mind, unfortunately. I would run the application under
gdb and, when it hangs, find out where.

I would like to know, though: What advantage is to be found in a
multi-threaded design? It seems to me that one process per simultaneous
connection would be much safer, and that Linux is rich in IPC choices.