freetds - Re: [freetds] bulk library in ct-lib

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] bulk library in ct-lib
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 21:14:19 -0400

On Mon, 17 May 2004, "Thompson, Bill D (London)" <bill_d_thompson AT ml.com>
wrote:

> I've just submitted my patch to ct-library for the "bulk library"
> components.

Hiya Bill,

I doubt my cheerleading has any effect, but, regardless, as we used to
say: Way to go!

I think the build-a-row-and-send-it formula will benefit db-lib's bcp,
too. For example, one of the problems with bcp today resembles early C
compilers, insofar as the error message can be right distant from the
error. The user can easily get "invalid column format" when he should see
"not enough columns in data file for table". Some such errors could be
detected by trying to build a row image. I've found that TDSDUMP is
almost the only way to debug bcp uploads.

It looks like 0.63 will have ct-blk, better ODBC, and some refinements.

Regards,