freetds - [freetds] Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Installation Problems

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "crusoe" <crusoe AT myquickmail.us>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Installation Problems
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 16:24:43 -0500

Hi,

i am trying to build and use the freeTDS application to talk to a MS Sql
Server7.0.
freeTDS is being run on a Mac OS X 10.3 system. freeTDS gets built fine and
also connects. However, we are using a the DBD::Sybase module, and we are
facing problems in running a test script after building the above module.

here's the test script. As I understand it, If it runs fine, we should
atleast not get any errors.

#!/usr/bin/perl

use DBI;

my $uniDBH = DBI->connect( "dbi:Sybase:server=Uniprint;database=pharos",
"Homer",
"scratchy",
{RaiseError=>1,PrintError=>1}
);

However I am getting the following errors :-

dyld: perl Undefined symbols:
/Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/DBD/Sybase/Sybase.bundle
undefined reference to _libiconv expected to be defined in a dynamic image
/Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/DBD/Sybase/Sybase.bundle
undefined reference to _libiconv_close expected to be defined in a dynamic
image
/Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/DBD/Sybase/Sybase.bundle
undefined reference to _libiconv_open expected to be defined in a dynamic
image
Trace/BPT trap

I have installed the latest version of the libiconv library. The $SYBASE
variable is also set correctly to /usr/local. $TDSVER is 7.0
I am not understanding what could be the reason for the errors, what does
this error mean and what can I do to remove them. Also, how do i exactly use
-liconv in the link phase manually.

Any help would be highly appreciated. This project has a close deadline and
we are presently pressed hard.

Regards,
Crusoe

Quoting jbaldwin:

I'm surprised by this, since I didn't run into trouble using
DBD::Sybase after I installed. (I just verified by running a script.)

However, I did run into problems with other tools using iconv. I found
that Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) requires a -liconv in the link phase, and
I'm guessing linux does not. I've just been manually adding that into
the link phase and moving along my happy way. This worked for me with
sqsh.

My script begins like such:

#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
use DBI;
use DBD::Sybase;
use Net::FTP;

BEGIN
{
$ENV{SYBASE} = "/usr/local";}

Provided By: MyQuickMail.us

Hosted By: Host-Us.net - FREE Hosting

100 mb free email space

unlimited messages

Nice Interface

MyQuickMail.us

  • [freetds] Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Installation Problems, crusoe, 04/20/2004