freetds - RE: [freetds] bcp timestamp trace

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] bcp timestamp trace
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 12:03:36 -0400

Actually no, or not always. Sure we have the table metadata, but the file is
oftentimes just a file. All we know is that the file needs to have N
columns, based on the table metadata.

If we have a bcp.fmt file, we can map the columns. I don't know, but I
assume the "insert bulk" statement is analogous to INSERT: we name in
parentheses the columns we're inserting. I think that's part of Bill's
purpose in examining the traces.

We know that we have some issue:
> - source column is not in destination. Discard?

Cannot map. Error.

> - there is no corresponding column in source.

Again, error. If a field is delimited but empty, -k logic applies.

We should not guess. The user may have intended something else. His
instructions should be explicit and unambiguous.

> - destination is not writable:
> - computed. Do not import

AFAIK, it's impossible to distinguish computed columns from regular ones
based on their metadata. Microsoft's bcp.exe does not support loading tables
with computed columns. I think the server will return an error if we try.

> - identity. Omit or use IDENTITY_INSERT and insert it

Probably. Or send NULL? Trace will tell.

> - timestamp. I don't think is possible to bypass and insert
> this column so omit from INSERT BULK, server will fill data.

Exactly.

the sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message. Please note that we do not accept account orders and/or instructions
by e-mail, and therefore will not be responsible for carrying out such orders
and/or instructions.
If you, as the intended recipient of this message, the purpose of which is to
inform and update our clients, prospects and consultants of developments
relating to our services and products, would not like to receive further
e-mail correspondence from the sender, please "reply" to the sender
indicating your wishes. In the U.S.: 1345 Avenue of the Americas, New York,
NY 10105.