freetds - [freetds] cygwin shared libraries creation

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "George Stanchev" <stanchev AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] cygwin shared libraries creation
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 16:14:33 -0600

Hello,

May be I am doing something wrong but any help would be
extremely appreciated. I have spent couple of days so far
trying to make things happen and its getting kind of frustrating
by now. Basically I have a cygwin system with iodbc (3.51.2).
I am trying to compile freetds and it builds fine, however it
produces no .so files or any dll - just the static library for
the odbc driver. I am not very familiar with iodbc, and
all examples and documentation point that I need to
have a shared library (.so) and the static one would not
work as a driver. However I cannot make freetds to
produce one. I finally was able to produce something
by capturing the output of the make script, and then
editing the line where it actually generates the static library:
./../libtool --mode=link gcc -o libtdsodbc.la ...
line and adding "-shared" argument and
replacing -o libtdsodbc.la with -o libtdsodbc.so.

This produced an libtdsodbc.so.exe...
however...now I get SQLAllocEnv() failed error
when I run the iodbctest program to connect to a
datasource using the 'artificially' produced .so library.

I guess my questions are, is there anything I can do to
get an .so, a .dll or whatever binary I need to plug in
into the iodbc driver manager so I can connect to an
MSSQL server. Is it something in my configuration
that prevents me from getting an ODBC driver from
/configure, make, make install sequence? If the
'artificial' way (by adding -shared paramter) is OK,
then may be something other is wrong and I get the
SQLAllocEnv() failed error from the iodbctest
program.

Also, can I use the static library for that matter?

Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated...
Even if someone has working cygwin binaries
and can share them with me would be great.

Thanks in advance for your time....

Best Regards,
George Stanchev

  • [freetds] cygwin shared libraries creation, George Stanchev, 04/12/2004