freetds - RE: [freetds] General Error in nvITrans_BeginT - rc = -1 Follow up

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] General Error in nvITrans_BeginT - rc = -1 Follow up
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 10:19:57 -0400

Good question. Several things could be wrong, and the message isn't
especially helpful.

HSODBC might be trying to assess the table through methods we don't
implement. I would look for complaints that such-and-such an option is not
supported. In general, FreeTDS will log such a message, but not always.

Look for error messages arriving from the server. Under certain conditions,
they're not propogated back to the application.

I suppose SKU_MASTER is a table? There are two ways to determine the columns
of a table:

1. Get the metadata by selecting from the table ("where 0=1" or somesuch).
You should see the select statement and a pretty verbose description of the
returned columns.

2. Select the metadata (as data) from either the system tables or the
information schema views.

I don't know which of these things our ODBC driver does, or if HSODBC is
doing the work itself. I do know the information has to come from the server
in one of those two forms.

You are in new territory, in case you don't know that already. FreeTDS is
normally used in bespoke programs, where the programmer can adjust to its
capabilities. HSODBC, OTOH, no doubt expects to use a fully compliant
driver. I don't know that FreeTDS meets that standard sufficiently well
enough for that purpose. AFAIK, the only experience anyone's had with
plugging FreeTDS ODBC into a pre-existing system is with oo.org, and that
experience hasn't been positive. Regardless, we're happy to help you try.

the sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message. Please note that we do not accept account orders and/or instructions
by e-mail, and therefore will not be responsible for carrying out such orders
and/or instructions.
If you, as the intended recipient of this message, the purpose of which is to
inform and update our clients, prospects and consultants of developments
relating to our services and products, would not like to receive further
e-mail correspondence from the sender, please "reply" to the sender
indicating your wishes. In the U.S.: 1345 Avenue of the Americas, New York,
NY 10105.