freetds - [freetds] Status: 0.62rc5

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: 'TDS Development Group' <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] Status: 0.62rc5
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 11:53:39 -0500

ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/ALPHA/freetds/current/freetds-release-candid
ate.tgz

The above symlink points to freetds-0.62rc5.tar.gz, a copy of last night's
snapshot. This candidate incorporates yesterday's fixes:

* vms/descrip_mms.template remove flags test from 'make check'
* src/tds/iconv.c ignore 'unknown' charset from server
* src/odbc/unittests/transaction.c:
- add a fix for old unixODBC
* src/odbc/odbc.c src/odbc/odbc_util.c src/odbc/odbc_util.h:
- fix SQL_DESC_TYPE_NAME results for timestamp type

Of the outstanding items:

1. Status of two ODBC unit tests.

Frediano updated the transaction unit test yesterday. Nick plans to see if
updating unixODBC to something more recent allows the tests to pass. At
this point, it seems to be an issue outside FreeTDS, something we should
document. Frediano seems satisfied that it's fixed. I'm hoping to have
this confirmed today. I think Nick's right, however, that we shouldn't
release broken unit tests without knowing the exact circumstances that break
them.

IOW, I plan to hold up the release until we're sure we know what's going on
with these tests, but I still hope that understanding is near at hand.

We could use more feedback, positive and negative, on this question. If you
have ODBC installed, could you please run the unit tests for rc5? Tell us
if they all passed or not, what version of what DM you're using, and whether
you're using a 32-bit or 64-bit (or 2-bit) architecture. Many thanks for
your time.

2. The new rows-affected bug report.

Much discussion. May ultimately prove fairly easy to fix, if you're Bill
Thompson. ;-) IMO this is a bug, but an arcane one, not worth holding up
the release for.

I will create an 0.62 branch in CVS, if not tonight then tomorrow morning.

Stay tuned, and keep your fingers crossed for 0.62 on Monday morning.

the sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message. Please note that we do not accept account orders and/or instructions
by e-mail, and therefore will not be responsible for carrying out such orders
and/or instructions.

  • [freetds] Status: 0.62rc5, Lowden, James K, 01/09/2004