freetds - Re: [freetds] bcp rumination

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: christos AT zoulas.com (Christos Zoulas)
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] bcp rumination
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 13:50:04 -0500

On Jan 6, 11:58am, jklowden AT schemamania.org ("James K. Lowden") wrote:

| On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, christos AT zoulas.com (Christos Zoulas) wrote:
| > what do we do about fixing bcp for
| > 0.62? Obviously my changes don't work in all cases, and break existing
| > functionality. As such, they should be backed out. On the other hand,
| > shipping 0.62 without the changes keeps native bcp broken.
| > Unfortunately, I don't have a sybase server to test this, and my mssql
| > server seems to pass the regression test.
|
| Yes, the bcp unit test passes; no, you haven't broken anything.

Ok, I thought I did break something. If I did not, then we should just
keep the patch and go ahead with 0.62; if we get native bcp working before
the release, fine. Otherwise it can wait.

| My test used "freebcp -n" with TDS 7.0. It failed. The question is, what
| to do wrt 0.62?

Ok, I think I undestand better now. I will try the unit-test with -n.

| You contributed a patch designed to fix (implement, really) a feature you
| need, and people who submit patches deserve IMO to have their issue
| addressed, if at all possible, in the next release. Problem is, your
| issue isn't really addressed, at least not completely, because native bcp
| doesn't quite work.
|
| Am I wrong about that? Is bcp working to your satisfaction?

So far, but if the unit-test breaks, this means that I've gotten something
wrong and I need to fix it.

| My feeling is this, tell me if you agree: We'll keep ironing out issues
| affecting the immediate release. Maybe we'll get native bcp working,
| maybe not, depending on our collective cleverness and Bill's time. But
| we'll iron out any 64-bit bugs and installation issues, and stamp it safe
| for general consumption. If it's otherwise ready, but native bcp isn't
| yet working, we'll slap a sticker on it and start working on 0.63.
|
| Native bcp will be made to work again, I'm sure, in the next week or two.
| It's not like there's some giant conceptual gap or 1000 missing lines;
| it's more a matter of tracking how native files are written and read. So
| your problem will be addressed, and soon. It's only a question of where
| we draw the line, of what gets included in 0.62.
|
| If it's important to you to be working with an "official" (we don't have
| offices) release, I'm willing to keep the train in the station until
| native bcp works. If you're OK working with snapshots, I say we (might)
| let it go and look to the next one.

I totally agree; I don't want to have the release wait on bcp.

christos