freetds - Re: [[freetds] Re: Re: RE: freeTDS unixODBC...Which one isn't wor king]

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Daughterson, Adam [EPM/BOU/MMI]" <Adam.Daughterson1 AT EmersonProcess.com>
  • To: "'freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [[freetds] Re: Re: RE: freeTDS unixODBC...Which one isn't wor king]
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 10:23:00 -0600

Hello again all,

> i just had this problem:) basically, the driver is trying to use a
default setup because it can't
> resolve certain information from your ODBC files. JKL pointed me to the
odbc-only portion of the UG.
> this is off the top of my head, but it makes mention of using Server=<DB
server name> and Port=<default >
> 1433 or specific #> along with Database, Version, Driver, etc.
> i made the changes and voila...dataflow.

> give it a try...steve---
I tried this as well. Basically I've set it up as an ODBC Combo, and ODBC
Only.
Currently the only thing that I can connect to the MS SQL2000 server with is
tsql.
I can connect to the MS SQL 7 server with both isql, and tsql using any type
of ODBC configuration.

This is really the part that intrests me the most:
> root@USBOU1-DHDLINUX:/usr/local/etc# isql esp_ms_sql user passwd
> Starting log file for FreeTDS 0.62.dev.20031224
> on 2004-01-05 17:40:24 with debug level 99.
> names for ISO-8859-1: ISO-8859-1
> names for UTF-8: UTF-8
> names for UCS-2LE: UCS-2LE
> names for UCS-2BE: UCS-2BE
> iconv to convert client-side data to the "ISO-8859-1" character set
> 17:40:24.654251 tds_iconv_info_init: converting
> "ISO-8859-1"->"UCS-2LE" 17:40:24.654360 IP address pointer is NULL
> 17:40:24.654401 Server SYBASE not found!
> [ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect root@USBOU1-DHDLINUX:/usr/local/etc#
Does this make any sense? Why is the IP address pointer NULL? Why is it
looking for a Server called SYBASE, or more to the point, why does it bother
looking for SYBASE at all?

>There are some minor differences between versions 7 and 8 of the TDS
protocol, and any 8.0 server will talk to a 7.0 client. There are some
subtleties > with named pipes and such when setting up domain
logins. But by and large FreeTDS doesn't have any problem talking to SQL
Server 2000, or, for that > matter, 2003. No more so than it has with
SQL Server 7.0, that is. ;-)

I think what you are saying here is that there should be no issue connecting
to a MS SQL2000 server on a Windows2003 server box?

As I search through the postings of others, I wonder at what I must be doing
wrong... They all seem to have gotten over this hump already. It seems
like it's got to be something to do with unixODBC, as (many times noted)
tsql has worked all along.

Again, thanks to all who have tried to help,
AD