freetds - RE: [freetds] replacement iconv

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Craig A. Berry" <craigberry AT mac.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] replacement iconv
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 22:43:11 -0600

At 11:32 AM -0500 12/15/03, Lowden, James K wrote:

>Well, Craig, you *do* sound a little grumpy, but probably with cause. I was
>relying on my experience, which certainly doesn't encompass all linkers.
>Even though no one's complained to date about linker problems with our
>libiconv replacement, Frediano's choice (and your defense of it) will
>probably save us headaches in the 0.62 release.

Sorry for the tone. Unrelated stress plus having previously lost a
similar argument in relation to the other replacement functions have
made me a little impatient.

>P.S. Did your research say anything about the priority of object files vs.
>libraries? If you link in iconv.o, rather than iconv.a, will the linker pay
>any more attention? AFAIK, there are no standards that govern any of this;
>it's just a matter of practice.

I think your odds improve, but I don't remember explicit commitments.
I know of one case (VMS) where you're guaranteed to get a multiply
defined symbol warning regardless of whether the duplicates are in
object files, object libraries, or shareable images (dynamic
libraries).
Craig A. Berry
mailto:craigberry AT mac.com

difficult than getting in."