freetds - [freetds] ODBC connection attributes

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] ODBC connection attributes
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 02:10:41 -0500

http://www.schemamania.org/projects/freetds/build/doc/userguide/odbc.htm#ODBCCONNATTR

"Use DSN. FreeTDS will search odbc.ini for entry. It lets you specify a
connection like SQLConnect, but using SSQLDriverConnect. Do not use
Servername and DSN together. Can be specified only in a connection string,
not in odbc.ini."

I'm updating the ODBC documentation, and I have a question about the
above: What does it mean?

"Use DSN. FreeTDS will search odbc.ini for entry." ??

I think it means: if you specify a Data Source Name in your connection
string, the FreeTDS ODBC driver will look in odbc.ini to figure out the
servername. I don't understand SQLConnect and SSQLDriverConnect, or why
Servername conflicts with DSN.

Could someone offer clearer text?