freetds - Re: [freetds] Pooling with SQL2K

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: brian AT bruns.com
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Pooling with SQL2K
  • Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 19:27:53 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 22:12:23 -0500, "James K. Lowden"
wrote:

> On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 17:47:15 -0800 (PST),
> brian AT bruns.com wrote:
> > 1. a flag "tds version" needs to be added to the
> config
> > file. see config.c for details, add a corresponding
> > field to the TDS_POOL structure in pool.h. This
will
> > be then be used in the following when we must
> determine
> > protocol version.
>
> Brian, would it not be possible to infer the protocol
> from the login
> packet?
>
> packet type
> 0x02 TDS 4.2 or 5.0 login packet
> 0x10 TDS 7.0 login packet
>
> We could assume 0x02 is a 5.0 session. I'd be fine
> with supporting *only*
> 5, 7, and 8, since a 4.2 server hasn't been sold in,
> what, 6 years or
> more? Who's going to pool serve a Microsoft 6.5 or
> pre-System 10 server?

The only problem is that by the time the first client
connects, you already have min_open_conn open
connections so you need to know ahead of time.

4.2 is actually harder than TDS5/7 since there are two
result packets instead of one. No real objection to
dropping 4.2 here once the others are implemented.

> > I've done some recent work at getting TDS 5.0
working
> > too, if I can manage to get it finished soon, I'll
be
> > checking that in.
>
> That sounds wonderful. If you don't get done, maybe
> consider checking it
> in as branch? Then someone could pick up from where
> you left off.

Yeah, I'm hoping to get it done soon, but you know how
that goes.

> Good to see you come up for air. ;-)
>
> Regards,
>
> --jkl
>
> P.S. Was I supposed to talk to you about the MX
> record, or someone else?

Hmmm, I'll dig up the guys name and send it to you
off-list.

Cheers,

Brian