freetds - RE: [freetds] unixODBC/freeTDS MS SQL Server

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO Frediano" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] unixODBC/freeTDS MS SQL Server
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 15:46:42 +0100

> James,
>
> How do I get the TDSDUMP log - I commented out the
> lines in freetds.conf, but there is no log file-? The
> odbc.ini and the freetds.conf file are:
>
> my .odbc.ini file is:
>
> $ cat .odbc.ini
> [DEVTEST01]
> Driver = TDS
> Description = Barnes and Noble
> Trace = No
> Servername = 10.1.0.104
> Database = BN_MANIFESTS
> UID = bnmanifests
>
> [MyServer2000]
> Driver = TDS
> Description = Microsoft SQL Server
> Trace = No
> Servername = 10.1.0.104
> Database = BN_MANIFESTS
> UID = bnmanifests
>

>From http://www.freetds.org/userguide/x1853.htm
Servername: This is the old "server" specification. This refers to a
freetds.conf servername, not a hostname as known to DNS. If you want to
use freetds.conf-less configuration, use Server instead.

> and my freetds.conf is:
>
> $ cat /usr/local/etc/freetds.conf
> [global]
> # TDS protocol version
> tds version = 8.0
> initial block size = 512
> swap broken dates = no
> swap broken money = no
> # Database server login method, if both server
> and domain
> # logins are enabled, domain login is tried
> first if a domain
> # is specified, and if that fails the server
> login will be used.
> try server login = yes
> try domain login = no
> # The default authentication domain, can be
> overridden by
> # specifying a username with a domain prefix,
> e.g. DOMAIN\username
> ; nt domain = WORKGROUP
> # If the server responds with different domain
> try that one?
> cross domain login = no
> # Whether to write a TDSDUMP file for
> diagnostic purposes
> # (setting this to /tmp is insecure on a
> multi-user system)
> dump file = /tmp/freetds.log
> debug level = 10
> # Command and connection timeouts
> ; timeout = 10
> ; connect timeout = 10
> # If you get out of memory errors, it may mean
> that your client
> # is trying to allocate a huge buffer for a
> TEXT field.
> # (Microsoft servers sometimes pretend TEXT
> columns are
> # 4 GB wide!) If you have this problem, try
> setting
> # 'text size' to a more reasonable limit
> text size = 64512
>
> # My Microsoft SQL Server 2000
> [MyServer2000]
> host = 10.1.0.104
> port = 1433
> tds version = 8.0
> try domain login = yes
> try server login = yes
> nt domain = LEX

Above (in .odbc.ini) should be

Servername = MyServer2000

UID is not used by FreeTDS. If you want to use domain logins the best
way is to use "DOMAIN\user" syntax for username (UID) and remove "try
domain login", "try server login" and "nt domain" options from
freetds.conf.

You can also configure your .odbc.ini in such way (freetds.conf-less
configuration)

[MyServer2000]
Driver = TDS
Description = Microsoft SQL Server