freetds - RE: [freetds] FreeTDS ODBC works without an ODBC driver manager

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO Frediano" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] FreeTDS ODBC works without an ODBC driver manager
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:55:11 +0200

> > I tried removing the iODBC driver manager,
> > and got my ODBC app to link with the FreeTDS ODBC library
> (libtdsodbc)
> > pretty easily.
>
> Good to hear.

Well, Steve Murphree and others add a lot of code for DM removing. DM do
some things very good:
- emulate some functions missed (it can provide ODBC2 while your driver
is ODBC3 and viceversa)
- check many parameters.

You can define TDS_NO_DM in include/config.h to enable some extra checks
that DM do.
Someone (perhaps me) should add an option to enable these checks from
configure...

> > You might
> > argue, why use ODBC then if you are not going to use the Driver
> > Manager
> > - well think of it as insurance/future-proofing - future
> systems might
> > have more memory and might talk to another database - so a Driver
> > Manager can be slotted back in if needed.
>
> True. I'm curious, though, as far as future flexibility is
> concerned, What does ODBC buy you that DBI doesn't?

Mainly you can use ODBC to access many DB types. Also some firm have
ODBC applications to port on Unix..

> > However, there are a few pretty easy steps to getting this
> to work on
> > a clean system, which would need incorporated into the source
> > code/Makefile/configure script. (I'm assuming there aren't already
> > options to run FreeTDS ODBC standalone - correct me if I'm
> wrong, but
> > I couldn't find them).
>
> http://www.freetds.org/userguide/x1853.htm
>
> We have some terse instructions, but more would be better. We
certainly don't have any support in "configure" for it.

> > Is this of interest to the FreeTDS developers?
>
> Yes!
>
> The place to change anything like this (except for documentation,
which really needs redoing) is in configure.in, which is used by
autoconf to > generate the configure script. We can't use patches to
Makefiles and configure, except as guidance for changes to upstream
files.

> > or have I offended everyone's sensibilities by even suggesting such
> > an outrageous idea which violates the very foundations of the ODBC
> > architecture and threatens the moral fabric of our society?
>
> Er, no. To do that, I think you have to win -- or, at least, steal --
an election. ;-)

As you can see we are interested and not offended :)