freetds - [freetds] Release engineering

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Eivind Eklund <eivind AT FreeBSD.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] Release engineering
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:51:06 +0000

I like FreeTDS, and I'm grateful that somebody take the time to
implement this important component. However:

Please, please, *please* follow the common rules of good release
engineering (in descending order of importance - two orders of magnitude
less important per step ;-)

(A) (Priority 100) A release is STATIC. You NEVER EVER change the
contents of a release after the fact, such as replacing the
freetds-0.61.tgz archive with a DIFFERENT ARCHIVE containing
freetds-0.61.2. This breaks everybody that has a system in place
for using the tarballs - and I know of at least eight public open
source systems that do this, as well as a bunch of proprietary systems.

(B) (Priority 1) Release engineering needs to include procedures to
make sure that the documentation in the release is up to date.
FreeTDS 0.61.2 refers to itself as FreeTDS 0.61.1.

(C) (Priority 0.01) It'd be nice if the archive name followed the normal
convention for naming - .tar.gz for tar and gzip, rather than .tgz.

Eivind.

  • [freetds] Release engineering, Eivind Eklund, 10/15/2003