freetds - Re: [freetds] VMS decc FreeTDS compilation question

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Patrick Spinler <spinler.patrick AT mayo.edu>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] VMS decc FreeTDS compilation question
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:22:33 -0500

Craig Berry wrote:
On Monday, October 13, 2003, at 03:06PM, Patrick Spinler <pspinler AT yahoo.com> wrote:

I'm trying to compile a sybase client C program using Compaq C V6.4-005 on OpenVMS Alpha V7.3-1 against FreeTDS 0.61_2 downloaded from <http://www.freetds.org>. We're trying to use it to replace the no longer valid sybase openclient for openvms.

It's ancient (10.0.4?) and now unsupported; is that what you mean by "no longer
valid"? I'm pretty sure I built DBD::Sybase against it in the last year or two,
though. Still, FreeTDS is a good migration path.

The (10.0.4x) client no longer works vrs Sybase 12.5, which is what all our institutional servers are going to. Ergo, at least for my apps, no longer valid.

I suggest doing a test compile of cspublic.h with variations on your compiler options. In particular, /STANDARD=VAXC is to be avoided wherever possible and in some simple testing of my own seems to be the direct cause of your problem.
Try this:

$ set default [.include]
$ cc/include=([-],[])/noobj/standard=vaxc cspublic.h

Then try it again after removing the /standard=vaxc. The vaxc option is only
there for code that predates the C89 standard and that has some really good
reason not to have been touched in the last decade.

You'll also need to use options compatible with those used to build FreeTDS,
which (unless you've hacked the descrip.mms yourself) means /NAMES=AS_IS.
Good luck and let me know how it goes.

I was afraid of that. This code links against both CA-Ingres and Sybase client libraries, and the CA-Ingres may still require /standard=vaxc. More experimentation called for.

Thanks,
-- Pat