freetds - Re: [freetds] Domain vs Server Logins

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Linus <Linus AT mccabe.nu>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Domain vs Server Logins
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 07:20:38 +0200

Hello!

With server login the SQL-Server manages user authentication internally.
Domains logins, Windows manages user authentication and the server relies on
Windows logins.

Not sure if either is more secure or not, but domain logins leaves you with
one place to manage logins/passwords rather than two. On the other hand, most
installations I know of have a single or a few database logins rather than
one per user.

I've not managed to get domain logins to work with FreeTDS myself and afaik
the code is quite new and untested.

/linus