freetds - [freetds] Possible bug in freeTDS.

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Damian Kramer <d.kramer AT jesus.cam.ac.uk>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] Possible bug in freeTDS.
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 12:55:59 +0100

Hi all,

I'm getting some very peculiar behaviour with freeTDS (both version 0.61.2
and the latest snapshot, dated 23rd Sep) and SQL Server 2000, using
DBD::Sybase (version 1.01). I'm running protocol version 7.0, but have had
the same with 4.2. When running a simple select, occasionally I get what
appears to be a single row returned, with a single column, contains the
value 0. Running the exact same select immediately afterwards returns the
data it should (1 row, 17 columns). I can continue running the statement
for ages (I've done a 5000 iteration loop) and its fine.

It doesn't seem to be easily reproducible, although I've found wiping the
data from the table and reloading it seems to kick it off again. The
problem has occured with various tables, and different selects. Its only on
the one database though (another one I'm using appears to be fine.)

The data is definately coming back correctly, as I've sniffed the packets.
But somewhere in freeTDS it's getting misinterpreted. I've created a
logfile of this, and looked through it, and there is definately a
difference between the first and second iterations, although I have little
knowledge of the guts of TDS, so can't interpret much of it.

Has anyone come accross this thing before, or have any idea if it's a bug?
I'd apreciate any help as we have a project thats becoming important and it
relies on this database.

I can provide a copy of the log if it's required.

Many thanks,

~Damian

--
Damian Kramer Email: d.kramer AT jesus.cam.ac.uk
Unix & Network Administrator Phone: +44 (0)1223 764101