freetds - [freetds] FreeTDS and Win32

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "David Nsengiyumva" <davidn AT finsolutions.co.za>
  • To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: freetds-request AT lists.ibiblio.org, jklowden AT schemamania.org, freetds-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] FreeTDS and Win32
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 20:50:13 +0200

Hi all,

I am just wondering...In the documentation for FreeTDS it says (x1025.htm
file) that among the combinations of FreeTDS Clients and Servers that works
an Intel/Win2000 Client and an Intel/Windows NT 4.0 server works but I am
just wondering (or maybe I don't really understand...),I've checked the
source code for the tds lib and it seems that it uses BSD stream sockets
over TCP/IP and I think one has to use Windows socket libraries (ws2_32.lib
or winsock32.lib or whatever...) to get sockets work on Windows!!! So how
can FreeTDS be working with a Win2000 Client???
The source as it is now does not even initialize the environment for winsock
to work and does not even link with any of the windows socket libraries!!!
So how come it works?? I haven't tried to see actually if it works I am just
reacting to the docs....

I am actually trying to make it work on Windows but this was just a reaction
to the documentation.....

Thanx

David

  • [freetds] FreeTDS and Win32, David Nsengiyumva, 09/08/2003