freetds - Re: [freetds] Sybase Incompatibilities?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: L J Bayuk <lbayuk AT mindspring.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Sybase Incompatibilities?
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:25:00 -0400 (EDT)

James K. Lowden wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 10:40:13 -0400, "Ben Vaughn"
> <bvaughn AT BlackbirdTech.com> wrote:
> > Yeah, this version of ASA requires the database name and servername to
> > match, or it will NOT allow a connection. With tinkering I found that
> > the database name sent to the server is the name you specify in the
> > interfaces/freetds.conf files,
>
> That's right, I remember now. It's also a footnote in the freetds.conf
> section of the UG. That much is documented.
> http://www.freetds.org/userguide/x631.htm#FTN.AEN643
>
> > while the server name is part of the "app
> > name" specification of the sybase_connect() function of PHP. I don't
> > think such an option exists for SQSH/TSQL, but perhaps it would be
> > beneficial to include it?
>
> Maybe. I just spent a little while looking for where we pick up the
> servername and send it to the server (as app_name or the database name).
> I didn't find it. I would be nice to rid FreeTDS of this particular quirk
> if we can.

Another consequence of this quirk is that it isn't possible to configure
FreeTDS to allow connections to two same-named ASA databases on different
servers. Nor can I configure two connections to the same server and
database but with different options, like one with debug logging and one
without.

What seems to be needed is a freetds.conf parameter called "database name"
which can be set independent of what the user guide calls "dataserver
name". Then you could have different "dataserver names" in freetds.conf
which send the same database name field in the TDS login packet.