freetds - RE: [freetds] Internationalization of FreeTDS

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: 'FreeTDS Development Group' <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Internationalization of FreeTDS
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 09:51:01 -0400

Jiro,

I looked over your patch. It basically makes FreeTDS DTRT if the server's
"singlebyte" character set differs from the client's. It looks great,
thanks.

The name "client2server_singlebyte" (mine) is clearly wrong. Thank you for
pointing that out. I think perhaps "client2server_chardata" is better, and
parallels "client2server_metadata".

The "IS_TDSENVCHARSET" (yours) is probably unnecessary, or will be.
tds_iconv() should recognize a -1 conversion descriptor, and do a memcpy().
That avoids testing the descriptor for every call.

It's much better, btw, to post patches to Source Forge, where they won't get
lost. If you do send patches to the list, please attach them rather than
making them part of the message. Message bodies get massaged by the email
system (tabs stripped, lines wrapped) and the probability that a patch will
arrive correctly formatted is almost zero.

I will try to integrate your work tonight. I hope FreeTDS continues to be
useful to you, and I hope you'll be involved as we proceed with our I18N
work.

Regards,

the sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message. Please note that we do not accept account orders and/or instructions
by e-mail, and therefore will not be responsible for carrying out such orders
and/or instructions.