freetds - RE: [freetds] Using sp_executesql with Microsoft SQL Server 2000

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Rogers, Tom" <tom.rogers AT ccur.com>
  • To: 'FreeTDS Development Group' <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Using sp_executesql with Microsoft SQL Server 2000
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 09:04:23 -0400

Up until about a month ago, we were told by several on this group that
FreeTDS would not support output parameters on MS SQL because of a change
Microsoft made in the way it handled output params, circa SQL 7.0, SPx. At
that time, they changed the output params such that they were being sent
"out of band" and not part of the normal messages returned (or something
like that).

We were using build 6.2, with UnixODBC on Linux, connecting to MS SQL 7.0.
And calling via the escape clause format of UnixODBC:

query = "{? = call mysp(?, ?, ?}"

Than, binding input/output, and input and output params via ODBC's
SQLBindParameter.

The SP would work, but output parameters would not be populated. We were
told by several, including you Frediano, if memory serves, that in order to
get this to work, some internals would have to change related to the use of
rpc, and that it was work in the queue.

That is the last I heard.

Thomas Rogers
System Engineer