freetds - Re: [freetds] Connecting MSSQL Server from Red Hat linux + PHP

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Arnar Birgisson" <ArnarB AT oddi.is>
  • To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>, <mlmsrini AT lycos.com>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Connecting MSSQL Server from Red Hat linux + PHP
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 10:33:59 +0000

Hi there..

For a start you should simply go by the book. Configure FreeTDS with

./configure --with-tdsver=7.0 --enable-msdblib

(I used tdsver 8.0, but 7.0 might be safer). Then configure php with
--with-mssql=/usr/local.

This should in most cases do it, although I have heard from several
people having problems when compiling PHP as an Apache 2 filter. I have
only tested this as Apache 1.3 module, but I don't understand how that
should matter.

In your scripts, but this line before any mssql_* functions:

putenv("TDSVER=70");

As an alternative, you could define this as an enviornment variable in
the scope your webserver runs, or set up an entry in freetds.conf for
your database host.

Now, test carefully mssql_init, mssql_bind and mssql_execute. Create
procedures with output parameters, and/or procedures that return empty
result sets (preferably multiple ones, some empty, some not). If any of
this doesn't work, come back here or email me directly.

Arnar

>>> "Venkatraman M Srinivasan" <mlmsrini AT lycos.com> 1.7.2003 09:47:55

Hi Arnar

Thanks for your reply.
At the moment i 've got freetds 0.61 snapshot downloaded from the
freetds site.
you 've mentioned with the option --with-mssql is working fine for
you.
Could you explain me the steps you followed to install and configure
for this which will help me to have a good start.

Thanks

svan