freetds - Re: [freetds] Connecting MSSQL Server from Red Hat linux + PHP

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Tim Uckun <tim AT diligence.com>
  • To: mlmsrini AT lycos.com, FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Connecting MSSQL Server from Red Hat linux + PHP
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 17:14:16 -0600

At 06:28 PM 6/30/2003 -0400, you wrote:
Hi

This is regarding connection MSSQL SERVER database from windows 2000 server which is there in a different domain from my web which is running on PHP4.1+APACHE_1.3.27+MYSQL+RED HAT Linux.
This is the first time i 've come across this situation. I just got the information from the PHP documentation about using freeTDS for this purpose.

There seems to be a lot of confusion on this so I'll do my best to try and summarize the situation.

My situation is a bit different then yours because I am using freebsd but the process should be similar.

First you need to build/install freetds with the right parameters. This means experimenting with database versions to get the right fit for your sql server version. For me the standard ports make install works just fine.

Then you build php. I use the --with-sybase-ct=/path/to/freetds

This seems to work best for me. Whether you use sybase, sybase-ct or mssql you will get all the sybase* and mssql* functions. They are in fact aliases to each other in unix.

For this freeTDS installation i was going thru the freeTSD documentation and from some user contribution details in the php site. Some mentioned about configuring with sybase libraries and some said with mssql. It was bit confusing me which one to use.

Could anyone help for install and configuring freeTDS in my linux server.Once it's done how to test it whether the MSSQL server database connectivity is working ok.

There is lots of help on the web on this very common setup but you will need to experiment and test thoroughly. Create a table with all possible field types and select every combination you can think of. Select nulls from boolean fields, set up huge and small varchars and select them, test blob fields. Test, test, test and do more testing before you put it into production.

:wq
Tim Uckun
US Investigations Services/Due Diligence
http://www.diligence.com/