freetds - Re: [freetds] desperate for help

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddyz77 AT tin.it>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] desperate for help
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 18:59:46 -0000

Il gio, 2003-05-15 alle 20:14, H M Kunzmann ha scritto:
> Hi
>
> I've been trying all week (and last week...) to get freetds
> connectivity to mssql from redhat linux 9.0, but have failed
> miserably.
>
> Freetds itself is easy to compile and get working, and I get
> successful connects from # isql -S <hostname> -U <username>
>
> Compiling php 4.2.2 to work with Apache2, MySQL 4.01 and freetds
> has caused me endless hassles and I've given up. Either I get
> sybase compile errors (--with-sybase=<dir_to_freetds>, or I get
> mysql errors or apache errors. Although I hacked my way through
> many of these, I still haven't come right.
>
> I then found an article @ linux journal on how to do this with unixODBC.
> I've followed the instructions, compiling freetds with
> --with-tdsver=7.0 --with-unixodbc, tested it with tsql (success)
>
> When I got to setting up the unixODBC stuff, I followed the instructions
> and added the tds driver and then a DSN for mssql.
>
> I get the following error when running
> # isql -v <dsn_name> <username> <password>
>
> [unixODBC]Client unable to establish connection
> [ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect
>
> I am using freetds 0.61, trying to connect to mssql 8.00 (is this 2000?)
>
> PLEASE somebody help me out... I've already asked on the
> shrike lists and php lists, nobody has helped except to say "I've
> managed to do it..."
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Herbert M Kunzmann

The fastest way to configure odbc is:

1- configure system/user freetds.conf.
2- test it with tsql
3- add a odbc.ini section like this

[myserver]
Servername = tsql_server_name
Driver = /path_to/libtdsodbc.so
Database = any you want

(well, you can omit Database)

4- To connect use
isql myserver username password

note: odbc server name is the section name, not the real name !!

Currently port detection (for multiple instance configurations) are not
supported (however if tsql work it's not your problem...)