freetds - RE: [freetds] Possible bug with extended ASCII

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Possible bug with extended ASCII
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 11:10:06 -0400

> Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 17:17:23 -0600
> From: Craig Davison <cd AT securityfocus.com>
>
> After I upgraded to freetds 0.61 from 0.60, I noticed that queries that
> contained extended ASCII characters would fail.
>
> Here's an example query that should return an empty rowset if it succeeds:
>
> select uid from master..sysusers where name = 'Ã'
>
> The character between the '' is Ã, the capital A tilde character. You can
> type it with Alt-195 on a PC.
> Was this never a valid character to have in a query, or was there a bug
> introduced sometime between freetds 0.60 and 0.61?

It's a valid query. You can put absolutely anything between single quotes.

FreeTDS is apparently not recognizing your client character set; that would
cause it to substitute a '?' (no quotes) for the 'Ã'. Does the log show
anything suspicious?

I'll have a look at this over the weekend. Frediano asked me to repackage
0.61 with some updates. I'd like to fix or at least document this
behavior in 0.61[.1] if I can confirm it.

We should have a unit test for this....

out such orders and/or instructions.