freetds - [freetds] (no subject)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Craig A. Berry" <craigberry AT mac.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] (no subject)
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 23:19:56 -0500

At 1:49 PM +0200 5/5/03, Bernard Giroud wrote:

>one of this change is the hardcoding of UCS-2LE in tds_iconv_open.
>VMS only knows UCS-2. So iconv_open doesn't work, and because
>initialization is not aborted, it keeps sending something the server
>doesn't understand.
>
>How did you solve that problem, Craig ?

I punted on that. As I think the ensuing discussion has shown, Freddy and
James are still working out the portability/translatability of character set
names. It's looking like the translations will be done in
sybase_character_sets.h and we'll need to put some VMS-specific code in
there. If the character set business is of primary importance to you, then
stand by and/or try to catch the rapidly evolving support infrastructure by
the tail.

If you just want to get a working FreeTDS on VMS, the easiest workaround at
the moment would be drop the [.vms] directory from CVS or a recent nightly
snapshot into a directory containing a final release 0.61 distribution.

At 8:07 AM -0400 5/5/03, James K. Lowden wrote:

>P.S. If VMS doesn't have strncpy(), please consider adding one to
>src/replacements.

It's had strncpy() for something like 15-20 years (it'd take actual work to
be more precise). I think Bernard just meant he took the following line and
stuck in a different spelling for the character set name:

strncpy(server->name, "UCS-2LE", sizeof(server->name));

Craig A. Berry
mailto:craigberry AT mac.com

difficult than getting in."
Brad Leithauser