freetds - RE: WORDS_BIGENDIAN (was RE: [freetds] Running FreeTDS under VMS )

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: WORDS_BIGENDIAN (was RE: [freetds] Running FreeTDS under VMS )
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 12:35:57 -0400

The way to check for GNU iconv is to add:

AC_CHECK_FUNCS(locale_charset)

to configure.in and

#define HAVE_GNU_ICONV HAVE_LOCALE_CHARSET

in tds.h.

> 2- check names using configure (source use encoded
> ISO-8859-1, UCS-2LE, UTF-8 and UCS-4, for the moment)
>
> Some platform do not have UCS-4 or UCS-2LE (HP/UX 10.20 have
> ucs2 but is only big endian)
>
> > 2. Replace hard-coded entry with
> > 'tds_canonical_charset_name("UCS-2LE")'.
>
> This raise another problem. What's the "canonical charset"
> definition? Is the name to use for iconv functions? It's the
> more standard name?

It's the name to pass to iconv.

> Calling tds_canonical_charset_name("UCS-2LE") in some place
> reduce performance...

"Premature optimization is the root of all evil."
-- Donald Knuth

> My intention is to define source coded
> in config.h (TDS_CHARSET_UCS4, HAVE_CHARSET_UCS4 and similar).

(I think the names should have 'CANONICAL' in them; "canonical" implies
charset in our system.)

IOW, we'll be able to use TDS_CANONICAL_ASCII instead of "ASCII"?
Regardless of iconv implementation? That would be good.

tds_canonical_charset_name() must be made to work anyway, if we are to
recognize the servers' names for these charsets.

If you're very interested in making this work:

1. Get the relevant names (available in the GNU iconv distribution).

2. In the "Host-specific configuration" section of configure.in, set
variables equal to that OS's canonical name for each charset we care about.

3. In src/tds/alternative_character_sets.h and
src/tds/sybase_character_sets.h, change e.g.

, { "ANSI_X3.4-1968", "ASCII" }
, { TDS_CANONICAL_ASCII, "ASCII" }

4. Replace the hard-coded strings with their config.h replacement macros.

Is that what you have in mind?

Note that patching the header files will remain necessary for any charset
name you don't address in config.h.

out such orders and/or instructions.

  • RE: WORDS_BIGENDIAN (was RE: [freetds] Running FreeTDS under VMS ), Lowden, James K, 05/05/2003