freetds - RE: [freetds] [ freetds-Patches-731907 ] Choosing datalength whenbinding fixed types

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Arnar Birgisson" <arnarb AT oddi.is>
  • To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] [ freetds-Patches-731907 ] Choosing datalength whenbinding fixed types
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 20:05:16 -0000

Thanks freddy77, this is excellent.
Sorry for the late reply, all this went to my spam folder.

I'm having some other problems though that I'm still trying to diagnose.
This is the case: I have this table and stored procedure (in mssql 7.0)

CREATE TABLE kerfisnotendur (
username nvarchar (20) NOT NULL ,
kennitala char (10) NOT NULL ,
passw char (20) NOT NULL ,
status int NOT NULL ,
persistent_data varchar (2048) NULL
)
go

CREATE procedure sp_save_persistentdata
@data varchar(2048)
as
-- $Id: sp_save_persistentdata.sql,v 1.1 2003/05/02 22:22:09 arnarb
Exp $

update kerfisnotendur set persistent_data = @data
where username = user
go

and I call it from PHP 4.3.2RC2 linked with FreeTDS 0.61 (with your
modified patch applied) with this:

$var = "some base-64 encoded data";
$stm = mssql_init("sp_save_persistentdata", $conn);
mssql_bind($stm, "@data", $var, SQLVARCHAR, false, false, 0);
mssql_execute($stm,true);

This works fine as long as the string $var is not longer than about 400
characters, as soon as it gets larger I start getting "Stored procedure
execution failed" from PHP. I stepped through mssql_execute in the PHP
source and it correctly calls dbrpcexec, which returns SUCCESS, and then
immediately calls dbsqlok which returns FAIL. Stepping throught dbsqlok
reveals that an "end token" is read from sql server and the call to
tds_process_end returns a failure code. I didn't go any further than
that, except for checking the SQL server logs, which for this operation
contain this:

2003-05-04 11:46:37.37 ods Error: 17805, Severity: 18, State: 3
2003-05-04 11:46:37.37 ods Invalid buffer received from client..

Any ideas on how to proceed?

This is not critical to me whereas executing the stored procedure via
the php function

mssql_query("exec sp_save_persistentdata @data = '$data'");

works fine, since it doesnt use the rpc mechanism.

Arnar