freetds - RE: [freetds] IDENTITY column problem with bcp

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Thompson, Bill D (London)" <ThompBil AT exchange.uk.ml.com>
  • To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] IDENTITY column problem with bcp
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 21:04:07 +0100

Hi James,

> What would be helpful [he says innocently] would be for someone to do some
> traces to establish the interaction, and develop a test for identity
> insert/generate.

> It's not clear to me yet that freebcp has to generate Identity values; it
> might be we should send a NULL (or otherwise coerce the server into
> generating them). This needs some experimentation. As for explicit
> insertion, it would seem we should "set identity insert on", but here
again
> empiricism is our friend.

Agreed, a network sniff would be very useful. I'll see what I can do

> Bill, where do you stand on all this? Is bcp.c doing what you need? IIRC
> you don't have any pressing need for blk-lib and no plan to implement bcp
> outside db-lib. Is that right?

As of now I'm very happy with bcp within dblib. It does all I want.
Once I'm finished with Cursors (that's why I've been so quiet of late. Well
- that and a few production implementations), I reckon the last big gap in
ct-lib is the blk library, and I'd look to do that next. But I'm not ready
for that yet...

I've steered well clear of the latest snapshot since you began all the
charset stuff. Is it safe to back in the water yet ?

Best wishes,

Bill