freetds - RE: [freetds] tdoParseConnectString

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] tdoParseConnectString
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 16:49:04 -0500

I hope you'll forgive me for trying to change your mind. :-)

My background is similar. My first C compiler was from a company called
Computer Innovations. It was a 4-pass compiler for DOS, translated directly
from the unix to the floppy. I used to say the compiler was so flexible, it
would compile anything, even English. It wouldn't *run* of course, but bad
pointers in DOS can produce spectacular video effects if they happen to be
in the vicinty of 0xB0000!

That compiler included libc source, which we took advantage of: we added '$'
as a format specifier for money to [sf]printf, formatting the output with
commas where God intended them. Very very helpful, if you're working for a
bank. Years later, the bank moved to Windows of course, and CI went afaik
out of business, and my old colleagues had to pore over their sources for
every '$' used as a format specifier.

An early lesson in standards.

I don't have any negative experience with assert() on any platform; I've
never heard of 4X degradation. That much would be very hard to explain,
because assert() -- even if enabled -- doesn't do very much. It's hardly
more expensive than an if statement. Here's the a bit of the assembly code
generated by gcc for my test program (optimization turned off, comments
mine):

.L9:
cmpl $0,-4(%ebp) ; the comparison
jl .L10 ; call assert()
jmp .L11 ; don't call assert()
.align 4
.L10:
pushl $.LC0
pushl $10
pushl $.LC1
call __assert
addl $12,%esp

How can that be costly? I wonder if what you saw might not have been a
function of compiler optimization settings or a poor compiler
implementation?

I think a lot rests on what you mean by "enabled by default". According to
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xsh/assert.h.html, NDEBUG has
been defined to defeat assert() for many years (particularly given that the
standards ratified existing behavior). We, and many other free software
projects, don't generate Makefiles that define NDEBUG. Maybe we should, but
I suspect the reason it's not a problem is that assert(), whatever its cost,
is more helpful than not, even in released code.

Can you measure its effect in this program?

#include <stdio.h>
#include <assert.h>
int main ()
{
int i;
for( i=0; i < 1000000; i++) {
assert(i>=0);
printf("%d", i);
}
return 0;
}

When I time that on my machine, I get 0m16.939s without NDEBUG and 0m16.719s
with. I'd be interested in contrary data.

> #if defined(__GNUC__) && __GNUC__ >= 2
> #define COMPILE_CHECK(name,check) \
> extern int name[(check)?1:-1] __attribute__ ((unused))
> #else
> #define COMPILE_CHECK(name,check) \
> extern int name[(check)?1:-1]
> #endif

If I were writing a very performance-sensitive application using a compiler
whose handling of assert() was as bad as you say, I would doubtless do
something like that. Given that the vast majority of FreeTDS users use GNU
gcc, and given that of those that don't most are using competent compilers,
I think we should reward intelligence. If someone insists on using a
compiler with very bad assert() handling, it's quite trivial to replace the
macro's definition locally.

(Besides, FreeTDS is not compute-bound except for data conversion. From the
application's point of view, the server is the slowest thing on four wheels.
Every database application is I/O-bound, at least some of the time. We've
even seen situations here on the list where changing the packet size made a
huge difference, more than could have been achieved if FreeTDS were made
infinitely fast.)

Better to adhere to standards and expect them to be adhered to. Always
assume the other guy knows what he's doing, because that way, you can't be
wrong.

Regards,

out such orders and/or instructions.