freetds - RE: [freetds] Client charset not working on RedHat8.0

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: ZIGLIO Frediano <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafoneomnitel.it>
  • To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Client charset not working on RedHat8.0
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 17:43:02 +0100

> > > I'm trying to make work freetds on a RedHat 8.0 wich
> > > uses UTF-8
> >
> > It's not necessary to use utf for accents. Latin1 should
> > support all spanish accents.
> > (utf8 is a work in progress... is run but it truncate data...
> > not very good)
>
> Aliet is using UTF-8 because that's the standard locale in
> RH8. To use
> Latin1, he'd have to unwind all the UTF-8 settings
> (including, I imagine,
> rearranging his X fonts and resetting his console and xterm
> defaults), which
> would be supremely unpleasant.
>
> I think we have to make UTF-8 a priority, because Red Hat has.
>
> BTW it's possible to use UTF-8 with Sybase, because the
> server will do the
> conversion. FreeTDS at least won't truncate the buffers, but the
> application might be surprised to find fewer characters than bytes.

This is not a problem. When Sybase return utf8 lenght are byte length so all
our function run correctly. Problem is if server use (return) single-byte
and we want utf8... in this case libtds convert character to utf8 in a
buffer that hold n characters (supposing n bytes will become n bytes... not
true for utf8). Also I don't know if libtds convert from client character to
server character (I think not or only for unicode). Recently I have added
possibility of convertiong from n to m byte (still unfinished, n must be >=
m, not utf8 case) and start adding conversions for single-byte characters
(not only ucs2).
I think we need a map from unix charset to server (nearest) charset, like
US-ASCII (or any aliases) to iso_1...

freddy77

"STRICTLY PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL

This message may contain confidential and proprietary material for the sole
use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by others is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please contact
the sender and delete all copies.
The contents of this message that do not relate to the official business of
our company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it."