freetds - RE: [freetds] Freetds and linux

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Freetds and linux
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 12:45:57 -0500

Absolutely true.

> Limiting myself to just MSSQL oddities documented in DBD::Sybase:
> o you're required to use TDS 4.2 (ascii only)

No. Most people will be happier using TDS 7.0/8.0 connecting to Microsoft
servers.

> o no support for placeholders

Correct. I believe Bill Thompson plans to fill that gap this year.

> o no inout params

True. Mark Lilback added ct-lib parameter support for TDS 5.0 (Sybase) last
week. He said he planned to add TDS 7.0/8.0 later.

> Aren't these inherent limitations of using ct-lib to connect
> to MSSQL?

Not at all. ct-lib is an API; it uses the TDS protocol to communicate to
the server. FreeTDS's implementation of ct-lib does not distinguish between
server vendors. With the work being done on our ct-lib, I think it's
entirely possible that before the year is out, FreeTDS will become a
transparent replacement for Sybase's libraries for DBD::Sybase.

> Will there ever be a DBD::Sybase that allows you to use
> placeholders, etc. with MSSQL?

Depending on the enthusiasm and/or motivation, pecuniary and otherwise, of
the developers: yes or no. Time and talent are the key ingredients.

> And as DBD::FreeTDS appears to be dormant, I would think
> DBD::ODBC would be preferred...

DBD::FreeTDS hasn't been updated in years, and is consequently far behind.
The capabilities DBD::ODBC depend on the driver. FreeTDS's ODBC driver has
placeholder and parameter support, which is helpful if you need it. It's
gotten a lot better in the last couple of years, thanks mostly to Frediano.
But DBD::Sybase is still the most mature route for connecting Perl to
Microsoft servers.

out such orders and/or instructions.