freetds - RE: [freetds] Strange FreeTDS 0.60 / PHP Issue

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Strange FreeTDS 0.60 / PHP Issue
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 14:54:43 -0500

Stefan,

I doubt it's a compiler issue. The error is a bit misleading IMO:
"overflow" normally means "too big to represent in this binary format", like
trying to stuff 257 into a byte. These messages, however, are generated
converting to TEXT or CHAR/VARCHAR, and mean "the resulting string didn't
fit in the buffer you provided."

Looks every bit a data problem. You could set TDSDUMP to get a closer look,
or change the error message (it would be nice if it said something like "X
bytes of src type S require more than the provided Y bytes of dest type D").
We can convert any => varchar, so an intelligible error message should be
possible.

It's possible you need to set your text size to something smaller.

HTH.

out such orders and/or instructions.