freetds - RE: [freetds] freetds is very,very slow when "insert into" sybase 12.5

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: ZIGLIO Frediano <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafoneomnitel.it>
  • To: "'freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] freetds is very,very slow when "insert into" sybase 12.5
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 17:23:28 +0100

> > > i found that the speed border is 14 columns, no matter their size.
> > > to say: i tried "insert into " from linux client to sybase db
> > > on windows, and these are the results:
> > >
> > > less than 15 columns = 185 LPS
> > > 17 cols = 41 LPS
> > > 26 cols = 3.5 LPS
> >
> > Gad,
> >
> > How does the server perform by itself, without transporting
> the data over
> > the network?
>
> simply by using its internal odbc driver to write into the
> server (win client -> local win server)
>

> > Try inserting your data into a temporary table, and time a
> loop that reads
> > the temp table and inserts the rows into the regular table.
> I think you'll
> > find that the server itself slows down.
>
> but from the test results i showed here obviously its the
> freetds that slows down
> i did not need to use any performance tuning tips or odbc
> tunig in order to get 100-300 lps , even over the network , os
> why in the freetds i get only 3 lps !
>
> by the way , i tried also openlink single tier + multitier drivers:
> single tier - freetds based - 3 lps - like my freetds
> multitier - uses openlink own agents in both client+srv sides = 30 lps
>

> > This for sure: the TDS protocol is insensitive to column
> count. One column
> > or a hundred, TDS doesn't care. If there's some negative
> interaction with
> > the underlying packet layer, I'd be very surprised.
> >
> > --jkl
>
> ok , so its probably the freetds implenetation , not the tds
> protocol itself ...

Gad, you are interested in testing performance but you should give more
information to reproduce your test and help you solving this problem.
I briefly compared ms odbc driver with freetds one (CVS version) and I
haven't seen much difference.

What library do you use?
What FreeTDS version? 0.60 have a problem with default logging setting...
What server do you use?
What FreeTDS configuration are you using?
Can you provide test code?
You speaks about "insert into" but how use insert into? Do you construct
yourself statement or not?
You should try speed from different machine even or never (or server <->
client locally or server <-> client remote, not local for win <-> win and
remote for win <-> linux).

freddy77

"STRICTLY PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL

This message may contain confidential and proprietary material for the sole
use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by others is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please contact
the sender and delete all copies.
The contents of this message that do not relate to the official business of
our company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it."