freetds - Re: [freetds] release plan

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddyz77 AT tin.it>
  • To: FreeTDS <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] release plan
  • Date: 19 Dec 2002 08:40:09 +0100

Il mer, 2002-12-18 alle 23:34, Lowden, James K ha scritto:
> All,
>
> I think release 0.61 should occur in January. We have many improvements
> since the last release:
>
> Dynamic SQL
> Output parameters
> Compute rows
> Varbinary support
> dsn-less ODBC connections
> RPC support (db-lib)
> Compatibility with DBD::Sybase 0.95
> 68 new functions! [1]
> Error/message handling rewritten, uses real error numbers
> new sample programs
> much cleaner code, warning-free compiles
> namespace cleanup
> public domain versions of functions for OSs that lack them
> autoconf portability improvements
> builds in HP-UX, Win32, and cygwin
>
> That's over 2400 lines of ChangeLog. Yup, it's time.
>
> If you have a patch you'd like included, now's the time to pony up. If you
> have a gripe that you think really ought to be fixed first, now's the time
> to say so (see also the previous sentence).

1- ODBC do not use very well dynamic. Not all data are supported, it do
not unprepare. But perhaps we can release without this stuff (now you
must enable --enable-developing configuring)
2- dynamic do not work in big endian machine. This should be fixed...
3- ODBC connect test core compiling FreeTDS with dmalloc (core) or
ElectricFence (hang). Seem related to unload/load of shared object (it
occur only freeing all connections/environment and recreating all)..
Tested even with new unixODBC...
4- ODBC do not handle very well compute/store procedure and perhaps so
do ctlib and other. If you call a store procedure from language the wire
return some TDS_INDONEPROC but this are threaten like normal result even
if they do not result ROW...
This is not the correct behaviour on ODBC.

On point 4, you can have something like:
ROWFMT
ROW
DONE(count)
DONE
DONE
DONE
ROWFMT
DONE(count)

ODBC must return 2 recordsets and ignore all DONE without count.
Actually this do not work...

I think point 2 and 3 can't absolutely wait next release. If anyone can
test point 3 and help me...
Also we shouldn't do errors on previous release. I think we should start
releasing some rc version ASAP and wait for compile problem and
others... currently CVS version "make dist" work (you can do even a make
distcheck now). make should work even without GNU make...