freetds - [freetds] ctlib support from sybase

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Mark J. Lilback" <mark AT lilback.com>
  • To: freetds mailing list <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] ctlib support from sybase
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 14:41:24 -0500

Since Sybase was released for Mac OS X, I've been working closely with Sybase. They've just informed me that they have been using FreeTDS for some internal work, modifying ctlib to:

a) support some of the newer TDS tokens that have been introduced with ASE 12.5;
b) fix some datatype handling issues (binary);
c) update the connection capability exchange to let the server know that this client can handle new tokens possible with ASE 12.5;
d) optional support for REAL Basic;
e) a ctlib property to enable tds logging.

They've meant to contribute it back to the project, but have been lacking the time. However, they've sent me a tarball of their changes. The last mod on the included ChangeLog is "Tue Oct 15 09:37:03 EDT 2002", so the code isn't that far behind (I was worried it might be based on 0.53).

So, who feels like going over their code changes?

Doing a grep for the comment signature they used, there are 89 changes. I could possibly do it next week, but I have a feeling there are others out there who could get to it much faster.

Also, they found an undocumented way to login with ctlib without having an entry in the interfaces file (which they plan to document in the future). I'll be adding support for that to ctlib.

"They that can give up essential liberty
Mark J. Lilback to obtain a little temporary safety
<mark AT lilback.com> deserve neither liberty or safety."
http://www.lilback.com/ -- Benjamin Franklin