freetds - [freetds] Error on remote ODBC connections with StarOffice

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Martin Spott <mas AT plesnik.de>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] Error on remote ODBC connections with StarOffice
  • Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 21:22:10 +0100

Hello,
a few weeks ago I bothered you with notes about StarOffice crashing while
trying to access a remote Sybase server.

Now I set up a local server (mainly for tests on a different project) and
ran StarOffice against this database. The result is interesting: StarOffice
does _not_ crash, even with an identical setup (except the server name).
Unfortunately I don't get the database tables displayed in StarOffice, but
this is a different task ....

My 'freetds.conf':

[global]
tds version = 4.2
initial block size = 512
swap broken dates = no
swap broken money = no
try server login = yes
try domain login = no
cross domain login = no
dump file = /tmp/freetds.log
debug level = 10
[quickstep]
host = quickstep.plesnik.bonsai.de
port = 4110
[gluehbirne]
host = gluehbirne.plesnik.bonsai.de
port = 7543

My 'odbcinst.ini':

[ODBC]
Trace = Yes
TraceFile = /tmp/sql.log
ForceTrace = Yes
Pooling = No

[FreeTDS]
Description = FreeTDS unixODBC Driver
Driver = /opt/freetds/lib/libtdsodbc.so
Setup = /opt/unixODBC/lib/libtdsS.so
FileUsage = 1

My 'odbc.ini':

[gluehbirne]
Description = FreeTDS unixODBC Driver
Driver = /opt/freetds/lib/libtdsodbc.so
Servername = gluehbirne

[quickstep]
Description = FreeTDS unixODBC Driver
Driver = /opt/freetds/lib/libtdsodbc.so
Servername = quickstep

The DNS server knows about both of these servers and they reside in the same
subnet ('quickstep' is the ethernet interface of the local host !).

I attached '[freetds,sql].[local,remote].gz' in case anyone has a clue to
find the missing bits.
I also had a try running StarOffice in gdb, but this looks not very
promising to me:

[...]
[Switching to Thread 1024 (LWP 6504)]
0x44a7a74c in SdbODBCConnection::FillTypeList ()
from /opt/office52/program/libsdb569li.so

Martin.
P.S.: I might not be able to answer within the next couple of hours because
the account I use for recieving the mailing list is down until
tomorrow.
P.P.S.: I found a web page, how someone crashed OpenOffice with MyODBC:
http://www.vttoth.com/msqlodbc.htm
I can't tell if FreeTDS/ODBC has similar issues but at least it
shows that an ODBC driver can crash the app .... ;-)

  • [freetds] Error on remote ODBC connections with StarOffice, Martin Spott, 12/10/2002