freetds - Re: [freetds] Starting with freetds

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddyz77 AT tin.it>
  • To: FreeTDS <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Starting with freetds
  • Date: 23 Nov 2002 19:14:18 +0100

Il sab, 2002-11-23 alle 19:07, Nelson David ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to start using / testing freetds in my company.
> I have an MSSQL Server 7.0 in one machine and a Linux Red hat 7.3 in another
> machine who is hosting our public web site.
>
> I'd like to use freetds to query my Mssql server 7.0 databases with php
> scripts in our web site.
>
> How can i test this and were should i start ??
>
> Best Regards,
> Nelson

Compiling FreeTDS :)

The best library that work with FreeTDS is ctlib, so you should compile
PHP with --sybase-ct=freetds_install_directory. I don't really know if
is possible to compile only Sybase PHP module...

The only thing you need to change (from old scripts) should be
connection string, Sybase PHP module have aliases for mssql_* functions.

If you think to use binary fields (VARBINARY) perhaps is best if you use
a snapshot version.

Read user guide before start (you'll find a copy on website or
compressed on snapshot) and configure for TDS 7.0 (default is 4.2).

Personally I never configured TDS7 during configure but I rarely use
default.