freetds - RE: Output parameters (was: Strange things)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: ZIGLIO Frediano <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafoneomnitel.it>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Output parameters (was: Strange things)
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 16:25:20 +0100

> > In TDS 7.0, there now IS a direct way of submitting a
> stored procedure
> > call to the server, passing input parameters and retrieving output
> > parameters. So the former method is now redundant.
>
> Well, it's no accident the address is "One Microsoft Way" is it?
>
> OK, I'm done being snide. What to do? Here's how I see it.
>
> The TDS_RETURNVALUE (0xac) token was used only by db-lib
> programs and has
> been considered "obsolete" by Sybase for five years.

Sybase made obsolete TDS_RETURNVALUE because it replace with
TDS_PARAMFMT/TDS_PARAMS, not because it do not return output parameters.

> If we don't have one already, we should have an rpc version
> of t0022.c.
> Well, maybe we should have more than a stub implementation in rpc.c,
> first. ;) Seems to me that has been made more urgent. Am I
> correct that
> libtds is rpc-ready, and that all we need to do is the db-lib
> implementation?

Quite ready... see also my previous mail on parameters storage...
RPC is very similar to DYNAMIC query (input parameters and output one are
handled in the same way...)

> And, of course, we should document it.

I try to document all added functions using Doxygen. Perhaps I should update
also other docs? Like protocol issues?

freddy77

"STRICTLY PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL

This message may contain confidential and proprietary material for the sole
use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by others is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please contact
the sender and delete all copies.
The contents of this message that do not relate to the official business of
our company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it."