freetds - RE: indent: line length

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddyz77 AT tin.it>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: indent: line length
  • Date: 03 Nov 2002 10:45:16 +0100

Il sab, 2002-11-02 alle 21:19, James K. Lowden ha scritto:
> On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 10:25:53 +0100, ZIGLIO Frediano
> <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafoneomnitel.it> wrote:
> > I have decided a tabstop of 8 for terminal reason and now we want a line
> > length of 132 ???
> > I don't understand...
> > I know I can reformat for print and I can use editor other than vi (I
> > don't like a line broken into two line of screen)... so limit of 80 is
> > not mandatory for me...
>
> I'm looking at bcp.c because I'd like freebcp to understand the "-e"
> switch. bpc.c v 1.33 doesn't vaguely conform to our standards. It has
> some pretty complicated nesting (which I don't see any better way to do),
> so as an experiment, I tried indent on it.
>
> It was better, because it K&R'd the braces, putting more code on the
> screen. But the code got pretty ugly e.g.,
>
> tds_get_conversion_type(bcpcol->
> db_type,
> bcpcol->
> db_length);
> ^^^ "t" is in column 80

Align to parentheses is the most waste of space, but I must admin the
code is much more readable.

> Using 132, the code looked much more natural. I tried squishing my
> tabstop to 3. It made the max line about 90 long, but I couldn't keep
> track of the nesting in _bcp_read_hostfile. So I set it back to 8 and
> made the window wider. That seems the best solution.
>
> Frediano, I don't what you to switch editors just to work on FreeTDS code.
> Can't your terminal convert to 132 columns easily enough? The attached
> program emits the correct VT100 escape sequence.

Thanks (although setting the printer is not so easy...but perhaps is
best reformatting in different way before printing).
Agreed and committed !

freddy77

  • RE: indent: line length, James K. Lowden, 11/02/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • RE: indent: line length, Frediano Ziglio, 11/03/2002