freetds - Re: undefined reference in recompiling tsql

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: James K. Lowden <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: undefined reference in recompiling tsql
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 21:02:34 -0500

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002 20:42:34 -0500, "glovers AT labcorp.com"
<glovers AT labcorp.com> wrote:
> I'm really new to open source and honestly have no experience in C but I
> would like to modify the tsql utility to read input files.

Well then, OK, welcome! What's your name?

If your objective is to get your feet wet with C and free software, IMO
you've picked a good place to begin (unless you were hoping for help with
C. There are many better places for that.)

> I've initially
> tested a small code change and Im trying to recompile it but Im getting
> a ton of undefined reference messages. Can someone please tell me
> exactly what I need to do to recompile this.

What should work is:

$ cd freetds
$ ls src
CVS Makefile.am apps dblib pool server
Makefile Makefile.in ctlib odbc replacements tds
$ make
[fix errors, repeat]
$ make install

You probably know you can redirect input files to tsql:

$ cat > q
select cast(@@version as char(30)) as Version
go
select getdate()
go
$ tsql -S s -U u -P p < q
Msg 5703, Level 0, State 1, Server CPRO200, Line 0
Changed language setting to us_english.
1> select cast(@@version as char(30)) as Version
2> go
Version
Microsoft SQL Server 7.00 - 7
1> select getdate()
2> go

Oct 29 2002 12:53PM
1>
$

If you want a tool that already does this well, have a look at
www.sqsh.org.

Regards,