freetds - Re: [Fwd: RE: .NET C#]

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Tim Coleman <tim AT timcoleman.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [Fwd: RE: .NET C#]
  • Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 23:56:43 -0500

On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 08:21:40AM +0100, Frediano Ziglio wrote:
> FYI
>
> I forgot to send to you...
>
> freddy77

> Subject: [freetds] RE: .NET C#
> From: Frediano Ziglio <freddyz77 AT tin.it>
> To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>
> Il dom, 2002-10-27 alle 05:37, Daniel Morgan ha scritto:
> > Take a look at the TDS providers in Mono at
> > http://www.go-mono.com/ado-net.html
> >
> > Tim Coleman is creating 3 providers in pure C# in Mono:
>
> Why C# ? .NET is not an independent language? Why not compiling C for
> libtds using FreeTDS code and add his library?

I'm not sure what your concern is. The advantage of C# is simple:
it is cross-platform compatible. Yes, libtds can compile on
multiple platforms, and it is quite possible to import native
libraries. I understand the advantages of using a common
library.

Personally, I desired a native, 100% C# based provider for
Microsoft SQL Server. I felt that the FreeTDS and jTDS projects
had researched this area, and provide valuable information through
open code, informative websites, and, in this case, an active
mailing list.

I see no reason why I could not also learn more about TDS through
an independent project. I do not wish to hide any information I
learn in this way, and I am willing to share anything that I learn
with the rest of the community.

Although this isn't a competition, multiple competing projects
can often achieve more than one solitary project. This is especially
true if the projects share information with each other from time to
time.

> I don't understand why they do not write a backend for GCC... so I can
> compiler Fortram to .NET or .NET to native... Perhaps too complex...

It is completely possible to create a Fortran compiler for .NET
There's no need to make it part of gcc. I'm sure that a Fortran .NET
compiler already exists. That, however, is beyond the realm of FreeTDS
or ADO.NET.

> > 1. Mono.Data.TdsClient for TDS 4.2 (older Sybase and Microsoft SQL Server
> > databases)
> > 2. Mono.Data.SybaseClient for TDS 5.0 (newer Sybase)
> > 3. Mono.Data.SqlClient for TDS 7.0 (Microsoft SQL Server 7/2000)
> >

> There are no so many difference...

No, there are definitely not many differences. The differentiation is
as much semantic as it is technical. To take advantage of the different
features of each, it is best to distinguish them (IMHO).

> > The TDS ADO.NET providers can connect and execute DML statements now. Tim
> > is working on retrieving data from queries now using a Data Reader.
> >
> > The TDS functionality is referencing two open source projects:
> > FreeTDS at http://www.freetds.org/
> > jTDS at http://jtds.sf.net/
> >
> > Mono works on Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, and possibly others...
> >
> > Would you like to help Tim with the TDS providers in Mono?
> >

> I think the best think is a contribution. If Tim or other people join to
> our mailing list we will happy to help them (and perhaps they can help
> us :) ).

I have been passively reading the list for over a week now. I am
willing to share anything I learn, and I am glad that you are willing
to do the same. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel. I have been
reading the very helpful information provided as part of the FreeTDS
project, along with jTDS, a little bit of google, and my own intuition.
All of these factors have been very helpful up to this point.

I hope to, if I get a chance, document all that I have learned
and contribute to the community in that way as well.

I'm not trying to outshine any other project, or prove that I'm better
in some way. :) In fact, I'm quite new to this, and I'm still learning
as I go. I like to learn new things; it is one of my greatest
strengths.

--
Tim Coleman <tim AT timcoleman.com> [43.28 N 80.31 W]
BMath, Honours Combinatorics and Optimization, University of Waterloo

  • Re: [Fwd: RE: .NET C#], Tim Coleman, 10/27/2002