freetds - RE: .NET C#

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddyz77 AT tin.it>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: .NET C#
  • Date: 27 Oct 2002 08:20:04 +0100

Il dom, 2002-10-27 alle 05:37, Daniel Morgan ha scritto:
> Take a look at the TDS providers in Mono at
> http://www.go-mono.com/ado-net.html
>
> Tim Coleman is creating 3 providers in pure C# in Mono:

Why C# ? .NET is not an independent language? Why not compiling C for
libtds using FreeTDS code and add his library?

I don't understand why they do not write a backend for GCC... so I can
compiler Fortram to .NET or .NET to native... Perhaps too complex...

> 1. Mono.Data.TdsClient for TDS 4.2 (older Sybase and Microsoft SQL Server
> databases)
> 2. Mono.Data.SybaseClient for TDS 5.0 (newer Sybase)
> 3. Mono.Data.SqlClient for TDS 7.0 (Microsoft SQL Server 7/2000)

There are no so many difference...

> The TDS ADO.NET providers can connect and execute DML statements now. Tim
> is working on retrieving data from queries now using a Data Reader.
>
> The TDS functionality is referencing two open source projects:
> FreeTDS at http://www.freetds.org/
> jTDS at http://jtds.sf.net/
>
> Mono works on Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, and possibly others...
>
> Would you like to help Tim with the TDS providers in Mono?

I think the best think is a contribution. If Tim or other people join to
our mailing list we will happy to help them (and perhaps they can help
us :) ).