freetds - RE: freetds from cvs on cygwin - make check - 2 tes t fa iled

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Thompson, Bill D (London)" <ThompBil AT exchange.uk.ml.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: freetds from cvs on cygwin - make check - 2 tes t fa iled
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 17:35:50 +0100

Jim,

There's a couple of issues with this.

1) I never fully figured out how this part of the protocol was supposed to
work. remember the bcp protocol in tds 7/8 is completely different from
4.2/5
2) when we read data from the host data file we malloc enough storage to
hold the data it's going to read. I work out how much to malloc by getting
the column size from the server.
in sql 7/2000, the server tells me for text/image I need 2Gb, which I
merrily try and malloc. The holes in my logic are obvious for all to see....

in essence then, its best to say that if the TDS protocol is 7 or 8 we
should say that this functionality is unavailable (for the time being
anyway)

Bill